Why I Take Pictures of Myself

At this point, I've been asked enough times "Why are you always taking pictures of yourself!" Either people find them on my camera or they see them as my default picture on facebook. They're usually insinuating that I'm lame because I do it, but I have my reasons. Which I will go into

right

now.

The digital camera age has been a gigantic help to me. To quote Cher from Clueless: "I don't trust mirrors". Sure I use them to get ready, but throughout my life there have been one too many times where I *think* I look one way, and then a picture will pop up of me and I'm like "COME ON!" My mascara will be up by my forehead - it's just a huge mess. So a few years ago I started realizing that pictures were the only way I was able to figure out these problems and that I needed to start taking pictures of myself after I get ready. Huge boost in morale. Seriously. Of course I have to take a couple from different angles, and I sit there making goofy faces while I'm trying to assess the situation. I end up deleting most of them DUHHH - but the ones I like? Yeah. Those definitely end up on facebook.

I'll also address why my default picture on facebook will almost always be a picture that I took myself. Plain and simple: I am NOT photogenic in a group setting. So duh, I'd love to use that picture of me in the bar holding up two drinks and winking - but I look like fucking Roseanne Barr in that picture. On a seriously rare occasion has someone been able to capture a decent picture of me in a casual setting. My question I have for you is simply this: Why would I use the picture where I look like garbage, but proves that I do things and have friends, when I can use the picture that's well, at least slightly better - and then you have to get to know me to see if I have any friends?

This stuff happens, I'm not devastated over it. But hopefully this has all shed some light. This is all done for mostly scientific reasons, I wish you would understand.

And now I will leave you with a montage of some of my famous "hey, how's my eyeliner!" pictures:


Being a girl blows.

This entry was posted on Monday, November 16, 2009. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply